This is a recipe for French Butter Cookies, also known as Sablés:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually mix in the flour mixture until a soft dough forms.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until firm.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the logs into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and place them on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden around the edges.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Enjoy your delicious French Butter Cookies!