Biscuits are a beloved treat enjoyed by people of all ages. However, the store-bought versions are often loaded with refined sugars, unhealthy fats, and artificial additives. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative, why not try making no-sugar biscuits at home? Not only will you have full control over the ingredients, but you’ll also end up with a delicious batch of guilt-free treats. In this article, we will guide you through a simple recipe to create delectable no-sugar biscuits in the comfort of your own kitchen.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons honey or a sugar substitute of your choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk (dairy or plant-based)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir well to evenly distribute the dry ingredients.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the bowl. Using your fingertips or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the unsweetened applesauce, honey (or sugar substitute), and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour the applesauce mixture into the flour mixture and stir until a crumbly dough forms.
- Gradually add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, and continue stirring until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and transfer the dough onto it. Gently knead the dough for a minute or two until it becomes smooth and pliable.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. You can use a rolling pin or your hands for this.
- Using a cookie cutter or a small glass, cut out the desired shapes from the dough and place them onto the prepared baking sheet. Leave a little space between each biscuit.
- Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they turn golden brown around the edges.
- Once baked, remove the biscuits from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your homemade no-sugar biscuits as they are, or serve them with a cup of tea, coffee, or a glass of milk. Store any leftovers in an airtight container to maintain their freshness.
With this simple recipe, you can now create delicious and wholesome no-sugar biscuits at home. By using whole wheat flour, unsweetened applesauce, and a natural sweetener like honey or sugar substitute, you can enjoy your favorite treats without the guilt. Whether you’re looking for a healthier option for yourself or trying to reduce sugar intake for your family, these homemade biscuits will surely satisfy your cravings while keeping your health in mind. Give it a try and indulge in the delightful taste of homemade goodness!