The warm and comforting flavors of ginger are perfect for creating a delightful cake, especially if you follow a gluten-free diet. In this article, we will guide you through a mouthwatering recipe for a gluten-free ginger cake that will surely satisfy your cravings. To ensure the best baking results, we recommend using glass cookware. Glass cookware provides even heat distribution and allows you to monitor the cake’s progress effortlessly. So, let’s get started and bake a scrumptious gluten-free ginger cake that will fill your kitchen with a delightful aroma and bring joy to your taste buds.
For the Cake:
- 200g gluten-free plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 200g unsweetened applesauce
- 100g molasses or treacle
- 100ml milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
For the Glaze:
- 150g icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- Preparing the Cake Batter:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 9-inch glass cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the softened butter and dark brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the unsweetened applesauce, molasses (or treacle), milk, and orange zest (if using) until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Baking the Cake:
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared glass cake pan, spreading it evenly.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Preparing the Glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the icing sugar and fresh orange juice until smooth and pourable. Adjust the consistency by adding more juice or icing sugar as needed.
- Glazing and Serving:
- Once the cake is completely cooled, place it on a serving plate.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake, allowing it to cascade down the sides.
- Let the glaze set for a few minutes before slicing and serving the scrumptious gluten-free ginger cake.
- Storing and Enjoying:
- Store any leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- To enhance the flavor, you can enjoy the cake the next day as the ginger flavors develop and intensify.
This delectable recipe for a gluten-free ginger cake, you can indulge in a delightful treat that accommodates dietary restrictions. The use of glass cookware ensures even baking, allowing the flavors of ginger, spices, and molasses to blend harmoniously. So, gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and get ready to enjoy a moist and flavorful gluten-free ginger cake that will delight your senses and leave you craving more.