This is a recipe for Croque Madame, a classic French sandwich that features ham, cheese, and a fried egg:
- 4 slices of thick, white bread
- 4 slices of cooked ham
- 4 slices of Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven until lightly golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Place a slice of ham on each slice of bread.
- Spoon the béchamel sauce over the ham, spreading it evenly.
- Top each slice with a slice of Gruyère cheese.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5-7 minutes.
- While the sandwiches are baking, heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet and fry them until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven and place them on serving plates.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg.
- Serve the Croque Madame immediately, accompanied by a simple green salad, fresh fruit, or French fries, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Croque Madame!