This a classic recipe for American mac and cheese:
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: breadcrumbs, chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture turns golden brown.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Cook, whisking occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese to the saucepan, and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the saucepan and stir until the macaroni is well coated with the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs, if desired.
- Bake the mac and cheese for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious American mac and cheese as a comforting and satisfying main dish or side!