This is is a recipe for American buttercream, a classic frosting used on many American cakes and cupcakes:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the milk or heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt to the bowl. Mix on low speed at first to prevent the powdered sugar from flying everywhere, then increase the speed to medium-high and continue to mix until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- If the frosting is too thick, add more milk or cream, a tablespoon at a time, until it reaches your desired consistency.
- If desired, you can add food coloring or other flavorings to the frosting at this point.
- Use the American buttercream immediately to frost your cakes or cupcakes, or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Bring it back to room temperature and re-beat it with an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy again before using.
Enjoy your delicious American buttercream frosting!