- 1 loaf of bread, preferably brioche or challah
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Butter or cooking spray, for greasing the baking dish
- Cut the loaf of bread into 1-inch thick slices and arrange them in a single layer in a greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread slices, making sure each slice is fully coated. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the baking dish and bake the French toast for 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the custard is set.
- Let the French toast cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Drizzle with maple syrup, dust with powdered sugar, and add toppings of your choice, such as fresh fruit or whipped cream. Enjoy!