This is a recipe for Vichyssoise, a classic French soup made with leeks, potatoes, cream, and chicken broth:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until they are soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the heavy cream.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill the soup in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until completely chilled.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chopped chives, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Vichyssoise!