Bread rolls are a beloved staple, but their high carbohydrate content often makes them a no-go for those following a low-carb diet. However, with a few simple ingredient swaps and a little baking know-how, you can create your own batch of soft and flavorful low-carb bread rolls. In this article, we will walk you through the process of making homemade low-carb bread rolls that are not only delicious but also fit seamlessly into your low-carb lifestyle.
To create a batch of mouthwatering low-carb bread rolls, gather the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup of melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or any low-carb milk alternative)
- Optional: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or other toppings for garnish
- Preheat the oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 180°C (350°F). This ensures the right baking temperature for your low-carb bread rolls.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, ground flaxseed, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir well to ensure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add the wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter or coconut oil, and unsweetened almond milk. Ensure the mixture is well combined.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients: Pour the wet ingredient mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir thoroughly until a sticky dough forms.
- Shape the bread rolls: Divide the dough into equal portions, depending on the desired size of your bread rolls. Wet your hands slightly to prevent sticking, then shape each portion into a ball. Place the formed bread rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving some space between them for expansion.
- Optional: Add toppings: If desired, sprinkle sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or any other preferred toppings on the bread rolls for added flavor and visual appeal.
- Bake to perfection: Place the baking sheet with the bread rolls in the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown and cooked through. Keep an eye on them to prevent over-browning.
- Cool and enjoy: Once baked, remove the bread rolls from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack for a few minutes. This allows them to firm up further. Serve the low-carb bread rolls warm or at room temperature, and enjoy them as a side dish, for sandwiches, or as a base for burger sliders.
Variations and Tips
- Experiment with flavors: Feel free to add herbs, spices, or grated cheese to the dough for added flavor variations. For instance, try adding garlic powder, rosemary, or cheddar cheese to infuse the bread rolls with savory goodness.
- Storage: Store any leftover low-carb bread rolls in an airtight container or resealable bag. They can be enjoyed for a few days and can also be frozen for longer-term storage.
With this straightforward recipe, you can enjoy the satisfaction of soft and delicious low-carb bread rolls while maintaining your dietary goals. These versatile rolls can be enjoyed as a side, as a base for sandwiches, or even as sliders for bite-sized treats. So, gather your low-carb ingredients, follow the steps outlined above, and savor the delightful experience of freshly baked, homemade low-carb bread rolls.