This is a classic recipe for American potato salad:
- 2 pounds red potatoes, washed and cubed
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried dill)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer the potatoes for 8-10 minutes or until they are fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking process. Allow them to cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooled potatoes, chopped eggs, celery, and red onion.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, dill, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and gently toss until all the ingredients are coated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the potato salad in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
- When ready to serve, give the potato salad a good stir and adjust the seasoning as needed. Garnish with additional chopped dill or parsley, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious American potato salad as a side dish for your next barbecue or picnic!