For the pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
For the apple filling:
- 8 cups sliced peeled apples (about 8-10 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- To make the pie crust, combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the cold butter and use a pastry blender or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix with a fork until the dough starts to come together. Gather the dough into a ball and divide it in half.
- Roll out one half of the dough on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-inch (23 cm) pie dish. Transfer the dough to the pie dish and trim the edges to leave a 1/2-inch (1 cm) overhang.
- To make the apple filling, combine the sliced apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir until the apples are coated in the mixture.
- Pour the apple mixture into the prepared pie crust. Dot the top of the apples with small pieces of butter.
- Roll out the remaining dough on a lightly floured surface to make the top crust. Cut the dough into strips and create a lattice pattern on top of the pie. Alternatively, you can use a cookie cutter to cut out decorative shapes and arrange them on top of the apples.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk or cream to make the egg wash. Brush the top crust with the egg wash.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. If the edges of the crust start to brown too quickly, cover them with foil.
- Allow the pie to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your delicious American apple pie!