- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Rinse the rice in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the rinsed rice and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
- In another medium saucepan, combine the cooked rice, milk, sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes or until the pudding has thickened and the rice is very tender.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Add a ladleful of the hot rice mixture to the eggs and whisk vigorously to temper the eggs. Repeat with another ladleful of the rice mixture, then pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the rice pudding.
- Cook the pudding, stirring constantly, for another 5 minutes or until it thickens to the desired consistency.
- Remove the pudding from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Transfer the pudding to a serving dish or individual bowls and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
- Serve the pudding warm or chilled, as desired.
Enjoy your delicious and creamy rice pudding!