- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- If you’re using dried chickpeas, soak them in water overnight. Drain the chickpeas, then cook them in a large pot of boiling water for about 1 hour, or until they’re soft.
- Drain and rinse the cooked chickpeas, then transfer them to a food processor.
- Add the tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt to the food processor.
- Process the mixture for 1-2 minutes, or until it’s smooth and creamy.
- While the food processor is running, slowly pour in the ice water. Continue to process the mixture until it’s well combined and has a creamy texture.
- Taste the hummus and adjust the seasoning as needed, adding more lemon juice, salt, or cumin if desired.
- Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl and drizzle the extra-virgin olive oil over the top.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve the hummus with warm pita bread, fresh vegetables, or your favorite crackers.
Enjoy your delicious and authentic Palestinian hummus!