Pork pie is a classic British dish that is enjoyed by many, but for those who follow a gluten-free diet, it can be difficult to find a suitable recipe. Fortunately, it is possible to make a delicious gluten-free pork pie at home. Here’s how to make a gluten-free pork pie.
For the pastry:
- 250g gluten-free plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 125g butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tablespoons of cold water
For the filling:
- 500g pork shoulder, trimmed and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour
- 250ml of chicken stock
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- To make the pastry, sift the gluten-free flour and xanthan gum into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chilled and cubed butter to the bowl and rub it into the flour mixture using your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl and then add it to the flour mixture. Mix well with a fork.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of cold water to the mixture, a little at a time, until it comes together to form a ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- To make the filling, heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook until softened.
- Add the diced pork to the pan and cook until browned.
- Stir in the dried thyme, dried sage, salt, and pepper.
- Add the gluten-free flour to the pan and stir until everything is coated.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Let it cook until the mixture thickens.
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 1-litre pie dish.
- Fill the pie dish with the pork filling.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and use it to cover the top of the pie. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top of the pastry.
- Make a small hole in the centre of the pastry lid to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pork pie in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Making a gluten-free pork pie at home may take a bit of extra effort, but the end result is well worth it. By using gluten-free flour and xanthan gum to make the pastry, and a simple filling of diced pork, onion, garlic, and herbs, you can create a delicious gluten-free version of this classic British dish. Serve alongside a fresh salad and a glass of cider for a traditional and satisfying meal.