- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and rum (if using) and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the apple slices until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust the cake with powdered sugar before serving.
Enjoy your delicious French Apple Cake!