- Fresh, ripe peaches
- Lemon juice
- Canning jars with lids and bands
- Large pot
- Canning tongs
- Jar lifter
- Start by preparing your canning jars. Wash them in hot soapy water, rinse well, and sterilize them by boiling them in a large pot of water for 10 minutes. Keep the jars hot in the pot of hot water until you’re ready to fill them.
- Wash your peaches and remove the skin by blanching them in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then transferring them to a bowl of ice water. The skins should slip off easily. Slice the peaches into halves or quarters and remove the pits.
- In a large pot, bring enough water to cover the peaches to a boil. Add the peach slices to the pot and blanch them for 1-2 minutes. Remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Once the peaches have cooled, drain them and pack them tightly into the hot, sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace at the top.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice to each jar, depending on the jar size. This will help preserve the color and flavor of the peaches.
- Use a funnel to ladle hot water over the peaches in each jar, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace at the top.
- Use a clean, damp cloth to wipe the rims of the jars clean. Place the lids and bands on the jars and tighten them just until finger tight.
- Lower the jars into the large pot of boiling water using canning tongs and let them process for 20 minutes (adjust the processing time based on your altitude).
- Once the processing time is up, use a jar lifter to carefully remove the jars from the pot and place them on a towel-lined surface to cool. You may hear a popping sound as the jars seal, indicating that they’re properly canned.
- Once the jars have cooled completely, test the seals by pressing down on the center of each lid. If it pops up and down, the jar is not properly sealed and should be refrigerated and consumed within a few days. Store the properly sealed jars in a cool, dry place for up to one year.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy canned peaches that are free of added sugar!