- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the bread flour and salt.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture, and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into three equal pieces.
- Shape each piece of dough into a long, thin baguette shape, about 14-16 inches in length.
- Place the baguettes on a lightly floured baking sheet or baguette pan. Cover with a damp towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Use a sharp knife or razor blade to make diagonal slashes in the tops of the baguettes.
- Bake the baguettes for 20-25 minutes, until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Let the baguettes cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving. Enjoy!